Cellular + GPS tracking, all in one? Oh yes! Introducing Adafruit FONA 808 MiniGSM + GPS, an all-in-one cellular phone module with that lets you add location-tracking, voice, text, SMS and data to your project in an adorable little package. (It does not contain a drum machine, tho)
This module measures only 1.75"x1.6" but packs a surprising amount of technology into it's little frame. At the heart is a powerful GSM cellular module (we use the latest SIM808) with integrated GPS. This module can do just about everything.
If you want a shield version without GPS, check out the FONA 800 Shield click here.
If you want a Shield Version with GPS, check out the Adafruit FONA 808 Shield - Mini Cellular GSM + GPS for Arduino click here.
If you just want a plain FONA, click here.
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
- Fully-integrated GPS (MT3337 chipset with -165 dBm tracking sensitivity) that can be controlled and query over the same serial port
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset or an external 32Ω speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
- AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
Here's the GPS specifications:
- 22 tracking / 66 acquisition channels
- GPS L1 C/A code
- Sensitivity: Tracking: -165 dBm, Cold starts : -147 dBm
- Time-To-First-Fix: Cold starts: 32s (typ.), Hot starts: 1s (typ.), Warm starts: 5s (typ.)
- Accuracy: approx 2.5 meters
Sounds delicious, right? So we plated this fine module onto a little breakout with all the extras you need to make your next project shine:
- Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your project on the go. Use any 500mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and recharge over the MicroUSB when necessary. Two LEDs let you know when its charging and done
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or 'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
- Breakouts for external 32Ω speaker and electret mic if you don't want to use a headphone
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
- Vibrational motor (buzzer) driver so you can have noiseless notifications
- uFL connections for external antennas
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
- Standard SIM slides into the back
On its own, this module can't do anything. It requires a microcontroller to drive it! We suggest and use an Arduino but any 3-5V microcontroller with a UART can send and receive commands over the RX/TX pins.
You will also need some required accessories to make FONA work. These are not included!
There's also some recommended accessories. They are not required but chances are you'll want them!
More comprehensive information as well as downloads and more are on our tutorial!
- As of Dec 11, 2015 we are shipping with the version 2 SIM808 module which has a slightly different GPS command naming system (AT+CGNS rather then AT+CGPS), and a newer GPS chipset (MT3337 not MT3336)